Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Ombar Salumi Bar - Melbourne

We are surely blessed living in Melbourne. So many fine restaurants, diners and eateries, almost too many to choose from. On a recent visit to the big smoke I had gone with the intent to dine out, try somewhere new and enjoy the diversity.  I train in on these days because I expect to have more than few drinks. I go for not only the food but the enjoyment of being able to soak in the atmosphere without the fear of Mr. Plod tapping on the window of my car with breathalyzer to the ready.

I headed straight to the east side of Melbourne up Burke Street. I have eaten up this way on a few occasions. In fact I realised, while seated in the window of Ombar, I had eaten next door just a few years back. That experience was excellent but what of this one? Food - Italian, how bad can it be? As it turns out not bad at all, in fact, quite good.

Staff are friendly and will linger for a short chat of service allows. This restaurant is long and thin with subdued lighting with stools and chest high tables. Not for everyone but for me it was the window seat to watch the human traffic go past. Always amusing!  I went for the trout and if you go you should too. A good portion, boned and delicious. Rarely I do desert but this time I did, also excellent.

Pricing is about right but it isn't McDonalds or the local pub. If only the local served trout like this I'd be there weekly. Drinks list is sufficient and drinks can be ordered by the ml??? Have you ever heard of this one before. Designed to maximize the profit on drinks as if it isn't already a big rip-off.

You never know ordering your drink by the "ml" might become trendy. Now for my beef. The BLOODY music was absolute shite! A modern, almost trendy, inner Melbourne Italian restaurant playing 60 back soul and R&B music. Pathetic. When I made mention of the fine food and crap music I was told they were giving the restaurant a modern feel. That's right, Ray Charles and Little Richard screaming black music in your ear, over lunch, is a modern feel. Hard to believe. Who told these guys this is how to wow your paying customers. Too bad food was really delicious. Sorry guys its a deal breaker for me. Last time you'll see my $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment